What's on offer?

If you have any interest in: Ufology, Paranormal, Angling, Paganism, the Eco-system and general controversy then this may just be the place for you. I am a published author of books concerning these particular topics...


/



Wednesday 14 September 2016

Regans from Ireland to Preston and on to Southport's Little Ireland



















For the sake of posterity, I have cobbled together a few bits of family history here that may interest a few folks. I will amend this data as and when time permits.

























Spirits from the past perhaps urging me on to mark their lives and times?

Our branch of the Regans came over from Mayo to the UK around the time of the terrible famine in the mid 1800s. This was a harsh period of mass starvation, disease, and emigration in Ireland between 1845 and 1852.

The earliest record on census I have thus far seems to be from 1851. I was informed on a genealogy site that this would mean the family arrived in the UK in the 1840s.



On this 1851 census sheet we can see the Regans living in Preston, ('Back Vicar Street ') Lancashire, with the following named: James, Sally, Bridget, Mary, Mark and Patrick. I was informed (genealogy site) that little Patrick aged 4 was born in Chester.
James was my great, great grandfather whilst Mark was my great granddad.

Later on  the family is recorded residing in 1861 at 'Little Ireland' in Southport.
















The 1861 census logs  James, Sarah (apparently previously recorded as Sally), Mary and Mark Regan. They are recorded as living as No. 58 New Ireland (Little Ireland).

10 years later the family appear to have moved to number 86 Little Ireland with James, Sarah, Mark and Ellen recorded. On this 1871 census James is logged as  originating from 'County Mayo'.



1870: Mark Regan married Ellen Wilkinson at St. Marie’s on the Sands church in Southport.



James Regan died  just after Yuletide in 1878, aged 69, at Little Ireland.







1898:  Sarah, the wife of James Regan, died in Little Ireland.




Mark's son, Patrick, died in WWI fighting for King and Country. Patrick's father (My dad) William (Bill)  survived the WW2.


Patrick married Rhoda (Howard) in 1911 and I believe they lived at 80 Stamford Road in Birkdale.

Today, Patrick's name is carved into the white  stone of the War Memorial on Southport's Lord Street.

Pat Regan ©


No Surrender...
 
https://pat-regan.blogspot.com/2014/02/shillelagh-no-surrender.html

This page is being updated so please check back now and then. 






2 comments:

  1. Hi there Pat. My great grandmother was born in Little Ireland. I dont know anything about her mother only that she came from Ireland. Am I able to purchase your picture? Thanks Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - that's fascinating. I have no idea what the original LI painting is worth TNH but always open to offers.

      Delete